Anger / Anger Management Therapy in Philadelphia, Mechanicsville, Ocean City, Santa Fe
Recently you've recognized that your anger is no longer manageable, and acting on your irritability seems like the only way you can cope.
When you get upset, do you shut down? Become emotionally unreachable? Acted passive-aggressively? Have you ever felt overwhelmed by your thoughts and not been able to shake it? Are your friends and family scared of you when you get upset? Do you intimidate other people? Have you ever broken things out of frustration? Or hit someone?
Anger is a normal, healthy emotion. In fact, anger is a universal feeling. However, when anger is automatic, feels out of control, it can become emotionally damaging and / or destructive. Uncontrolled anger can lead to problems at home, in the office, or in relationships.
There are two primary ways to think of anger
- Anger can be thought of as an aggressive response to negative feelings. Taking an aggressive posture allows one to defend themselves from others. Other people tend to notice anger and react.
- Anger can be thought of as a “secondhand emotion” because it is preceded by other feelings of hurt and emotional pain.
Anger is often considered to be out of control when it is used to demean others, intimidate others, or destroy others. When one expresses anger, common sense boundaries are required. Expressing unfiltered anger is limited. The recipient of the anger, must be able to hear the message. Too much unfiltered anger and the recipient then must become focused on his / her own safety as opposed to resolving the problem.
Typically, people cope with anger in one of the following three ways
- The person identifies their feelings, makes his or her needs known, provides the recipient with a way to meet their needs, and respects the others person boundaries. In others refrains from pushing or becoming mean.
- The person holds in their anger, redirects their negative energy and simply stops thinking about it. This style can come out as passive-aggressive, critical of others, hostile, cynical, or demeaning.
- The person self-soothes, calms themselves down, controls their outward behavior. This, while very effective risks having the anger turned inward – otherwise thought of as depression.
Out of control anger typically occurs when all three approaches fail. Developing anger management skills will help you cope with the emotional feelings / physiological responses of anger (increased heart rate, etc). Anger management skills consists of learning how to redirect your immediate energy, identifying good timing to express ones anger, developing relaxation methods, deep breathing, imagery, cognitive restructuring, developing problem solving skills, communication techniques, diffusing the situation with humor or sometimes becoming aware enough to simply change ones environment.
Common experiences that produce anger
Strategies to manage anger
- Handling feelings of anger, after the loss of a loved one (anger after loss)
- Could your expectations be getting in the way and causing you to experience a sense of anger? Try letting go of some of your expectations
Need anger management therapy support? To speak with a live anger management therapist call at 215-922-5683 Ext. 100 or if you prefer quietly setting yourself up for an anger management therapy appointment, you can self schedule an inperson or virtual anger management therapy appointment. For your convenience we have 5 physical offices and provide virtual therapy services in Florida, Georgia, Pennsylvania, New Jersey, New Mexico and Virginia.
Ocean City Therapy Office
360 West Ave, Floor 1, Ocean City, NJ 08226
Mechanicsville Therapy Office
9044 Mann Drive, Mechanicsville Virginia, 23116
Society Hill Therapy Office
233 S. 6th Street, C-33, Philadelphia PA 19106
Art Museum / Fairmount Therapy Office
2401 Pennsylvania Ave, Suite 1a2, Philadelphia PA 19130
Santa Fe Therapy Office, 2204 B Brothers Road, Santa Fe, New Mexico, 87505
Telemedicine: We have therapists who are licensed to work in Florida, Georgia, New Jersey, Virginia New Mexico and Pennsylvania
You deserve the best anger management therapist possible. Our special sauce for helping you achieve your goal, begins with matching you with the right anger management therapist. Check out our GUARANTEE.
Therapy Services Offered:
Individual Counseling and therapy
Couples Counseling and marriage counseling
Teen Therapy and Adolescent Therapy and tweens and child counseling
Family Therapy and multi-generational counseling
Art Therapy and Counseling no art skills needed
ADHD Therapyand ADD, Dyslexia, Autism, Tourettes counseling
Anxiety, Panic, OCD Therapy and worry and fear support
Breaking the cycle of Codependency and being your own person
Overcoming Chronic Illness and Chronic Pain
Depression Therapy and sadness, gloom, and upset support
Grief Therapy and loss, End of A Relationship, rejections, pregnancy loss and therapy
Mindfulness Based Therapy and spirituality based therapy
Sex Therapy and sexual function & dysfunction, sex addiction, sexual orientation and gender identity support
Trauma Therapy both emotional and sexual abuse, complex trauma, PTSD counseling
Affairs, Infidelity, Unfaithful, Cheating counseling
Personality disorder treatments