Common personality characteristics and issues of females with binge eating disorder?
* Feeling sad, lonely or depressed
* Interpersonal problems, which can be thought of as difficulty getting along with others
* Relationship problems with friends, significant others and family members.
* Relationships issues associated with caretaking and/or control.
* Poor self esteem
* Dichotomous thinking( either all or nothing)
* Inability to express anger or rage
More specifically, individuals with a diagnosis of binge eating disorder are more likely to have a high novelty seeking trait. This means that these individuals do not tolerate boredom or monotony well and may turn to food to satisfy their need for instant gratification. This is a common characteristic of an individual with bulimia. They might also have the high harm avoidance trait, similar to those with bulimia and anorexia, and have a tendency to be shy, passive, and fearful. They have a fear of taking risks and display a pessimistic attitude as well as be overly cautious.
Struggling? Contact a counselor at Center for Growth / Binge Eating Treatment in Philadelphia. 267-324-9564